What is SSL and how to implement it?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer. It is the standard technology that uses encryption algorithms to scramble data in transit. This aims to keep internet connections secure and safeguards any sensitive data that is being sent between two computers which prevents hackers from modifying and reading any information transferred.
To implement SSL for your website, first you must get an SSL certificate. SSL Certificates are small data files that digitally bind a cryptographic key to an organization’s detail, or simply it is a paragraph of letters and numbers that only your site knows – like a really “long password”. When installed on a web server, it activates the padlock and the https protocol and allows secure data transfer from a web server to a browser.
How to get SSL Certificate
Technically speaking you can create an SSL Certificate by yourself, but the problem is that all the popular browsers check with “Certificate Authorities” (CA’s) which also have a copy of that “long password” and can vouch for you. In order to be recognized by these authorities, you must purchase a certificate through them.
That is why you must pay a Certificate Authority for your SSL certificate. But before rushing up and buying you SSL Certificate, you should check with your web hosting provider because maybe your web hosting package might include a free SSL certificate.
After getting your SSL certificate, you have to do three more steps to implement SSL on your website:
- Activate the SSL certificate (Note: your web host might do this step for you).
- Install the certificate (Note: your web host might also do this step for you).
- Update your site to use HTTPS.
About H.A. Consultancies
H.A. Consultancies is a business, marketing, ISO, and ICT consulting firm based in Bahrain and operates in Saudi, Oman, and the UAE. It has been operating since 2012 and has over 6,000 clients all over the region.
H.A.’s ICT Services
- Customized ERP Solutions
- Customized CRM Solutions
- Microsoft Azure Cloud Services
- Microsoft Office 365 Services
- Document Management Systems
- Disaster Recovery Planning
- Mobile App Development
- Website Development
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- ICT Infrastructure and Security Services
- Networking – LAN/WAN and Wireless
- Integrated Security System Services
- Linking Multiple Business Locations
- IP Telephony
- Backup Solutions
- Time and Attendance Systems
- Retail and Hospitality Systems
- Salon Management Systems
- POS Systems
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!